Just finished my first ‘official’ web server load testing by using the bamboo plan for tsung that I built previously. Here are a few things that I learned:
- When set use_controller_vm=”true”, by default maxusers is 800. Adding maxusers=”50000″ for example to change it.
- For testing proxy server, the option has to be configured as <option type=”ts_http” name=”http_use_server_as_proxy” value=”true”></option>
- arrivalrate means how many users arrive.
- Use loop to increase single users’ request.
- Tune the arrivalrate and the number of loops to increase/decrease load.
- tsung is CPU intensive. I use EC2 t2.small instance (1 vcpu, 2G ram) for my testing. It generates around 5800 requests/second vs 80% CPU utilization.
The tsung configuration is the key to run a successful load testing. Here is the configuration that I used for testing. Very simple but seems worked quite well.