A quick summary of what I have found out in Google Cloud Summit Sydney yesterday.
- GCP GCE offers pay-per-minute (minimum 10 minutes charge), AWS EC2 charges pay-per-hour
- GCP GCE offers customisable instance spec (up to 64 cores, 416G RAM), AWS EC2 only supports fixed instance spec.
- GCP GCE support live migration, AWS does not support live migration.
- GCP VPC is able to cross regions, AWS VPC only supports one region.
- GCP CLB is able to cross regions, AWS LB only can cross availability zones.
- GCP CLB supports 1,000,000+ QPS, AWS ELB requires pre-warm when QPS is above a few thousand QPS.
- GCP CLB support network protocols beyond http/https. AWS ALB/ELB only supports http/https.
- GCP cloud spanner scales horizontally to hundreds or thousands of servers, AWS currently does not have an equivalent.
- GCP provides DLP (data loss prevention) API, AWS currently does not have an equivalent.
- GCP GKE (container engine) uses Kubernetes which is vendor agnostic container orchestration platform, AWS ECS is only supported by AWS.